Total Control was originally inspired by a Goggle box show, so real life proved merely as powerful.

For iconic Australian singer-songwriter Missy Higgins, the by few months have been mercifully decorated.

"I've been doing two shows a weekend for the past couple of months, and at that place's a lot to get," she tells Double J'south Tim Shiel.

"A lot of these festivals take been postponed, some of them 4 times, and nosotros're finally getting them all done.

"We're trying to make up for lost fourth dimension, and it's very exciting."

Hear Missy Higgins chat with Tim Shiel above:

On tiptop of a busy touring schedule, something no artist has had for the best office of 2 years, Higgins has recently released Total Control, a six-track mini-album initially inspired past the ABC drama of the same name.

That was until Higgins realised existent life gave her every bit stiff inspiration to draw from.

"During the first flavour, Grace Tame was standing upward and telling her story [in existent life]," Higgins explains.

"Then I was watching Deb Mailman'southward character on the TV show walking into parliament and standing up in forepart of all these erstwhile white dudes and calling out the oppression of her and her people.

"I just thought 'Wow, at that place's so many crossovers here'.

Skip YouTube Video

FireFox NVDA users - To access the following content, press 'M' to enter the iFrame.

"I was really inspired by these stiff women that I was seeing on the screen, and in the news in real life.

"I'g a mum of a three year former daughter then it brought up all these feelings of similar, 'Wow, women have come a long way and we're really creating a future that I'm excited for my kid to inherit'.

"This is a world where women are at present feeling like they can stand up and tell their truth and people actually will be held accountable. Not as much as in the by do they have to worry about not beingness believed or losing their job.

"It's people similar Grace Tame and Brittany Higgins who've had enough guts to do that. That must have been so hard, it'south their bravery that's really carving that path for everyone else."

Skip YouTube Video

FireFox NVDA users - To access the following content, printing 'M' to enter the iFrame.

I clear case of how Higgins drew inspiration from the show comes via its closing track, 'I Take It Back'.

"This was written a scene in the evidence when Deb's in a taxi and the taxi commuter is a real asshole and says something actually horrible and racist to her," Higgins explains.

"She gets out of the cab, slams the door, and calls him a discussion that I've probably can't say on this channel. She'southward merely walking through the metropolis furiously.

"I wanted to write this vocal about somebody who's come up to a point where they've decided that they're not going to take this shit anymore, basically.

"'Everything that I've given to you, all the energy, all the power that I've given to yous, I'm taking that back. I'yard reclaiming my story. I'm reclaiming my power.'"

An illustration of Missy Higgins

Higgins has relished beingness back on the route, and acknowledges that at that place are still plenty of incredibly special shows on the horizon.

This weekend is the first date of the Wildflower festival, which sees Higgins atop a beak of incredible Australian female talent, including Sarah Blasko, Kasey Chambers, Kate Miller-Heidke, Deborah Conway, ThornBird and Alice Skye.

"The Wildflower shows are very exciting because manifestly they're an all-female person line-upwards and nosotros've never washed that before in Australia," Higgins says.

"It feels like it's and then the right time for it, I hateful I tin can't believe we oasis't done it before this betoken.

"I'm very excited by it. And it's kind of fortuitous that my album is completely perfect for an all-female tour, for a 'woman power' show."

Pressed about the potential for over-the-top backstage carousal among the touring party, Higgins seems pretty amused by the prospect.

"It's gonna be trouble backstage," she laughs. "Kasey Chambers is gonna throw a banjo at somebody, isn't she? Deborah Conway, she's been around a while, she'southward not gonna take any shit from anyone.

Missy Higgins stands in a green jumpsuit on stage holding a guitar, in front of a microphone with her eyes closed while singing.

"Honestly, I don't think in that location's any big egos in the bunch. Australians are and then down to earth, specially on the festival circuit when we're all hanging out with each other.

"We don't take a civilization where anybody's going to get away with that either. Like, if you lot tried to exist a diva backstage, people would exist like, 'What's wrong with him?' No one would put upwardly with it.

"That'south just the Australian way. There's a flake of tall poppy stuff in there, only there's a salubrious dose of humility.

"I retrieve maybe the culture of the touring music industry has changed a bit. I remember people used to political party a lot more and get a lot looser and throw chairs out hotel room windows and things like that. People accept it a trivial flake more seriously now.

"They take their health a fleck more seriously, I call up, and they respect the people that they work with a fleck more. I just think everyone'due south egos accept calmed down a bit.

"It probably also has something to do with the fact that in that location's not millions of dollars to throw around in the music manufacture anymore. We don't take these huge industry bosses rocking out with bags of cash and cocaine. Like the adept old days."

Skip YouTube Video

FireFox NVDA users - To access the post-obit content, printing '1000' to enter the iFrame.

So there's Bluesfest. Missy Higgins has joined the line-up for the annual musical feast this year and intends on getting right amid it.

"I'm taking my kids upwards there with some friends and we're gonna rent a big house for a week," she says. "I'k super excited nigh that.

"I beloved the vibe of Bluesfest, it always feels a bit similar our Glastonbury or something. Information technology'south got a existent kind of camaraderie to information technology. Anybody's simply immersed in the music. They're immersed in the vibe of the festival and but commit completely to information technology.

"It's got a really great reputation for having actually incredible artists and bang-up sound: they know how to put on a good festival.

"I'm also just excited to just be up in that office of the country for a while with my family and go to the beach and come across another office of Commonwealth of australia with my kids. It's gonna be fun."

Full Control is out now.

Hear Tim Shiel on Arvos, Mon to Th from 3pm on Double J.